Saturday, September 21, 2013

Book Report on Leverage



    Have you ever felt like you were too small to help, or that no one cares? I thought this in elementary school but thought it stopped there, Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen proved me wrong and took it to the next level. Kurt and Danny the main characters thought that they were to small to help that cost them a friends life. They learned from there mistakes though and try to make things right.
 The book is about a small gymnast and a huge orphan who is the new star of the Oregrove high school football team. The captains of the football team take steroids and beat up everyone who are smaller then them. Kurt the football player and Danny the gymnast are sick of them and when a kid commits suicide because of them they work together to make sure the captains get what they deserve.
    Lamar was Kurt's best friend in the orphanage. He was raped there by an older kid who eventually murdered him. In high school when Ronnie is being raped he tries his best to stop it because he doesn't want anyone to feel Lamar's pain. Kurt thinks that its his fault that Lamar died but now he isn't afraid to stand up for what's right.
Danny was in the same closet as the kid who was getting raped. He didn't try and stop it because he was afraid he was too small and that he would get raped too. When Kurt came to stop it Danny learn that you should always stand up for what's right. Later Ronnie (the boy) killed himself. This made Danny feel even worse and learns that any one can make a difference. Later in the book Kurt and Danny collect enough evidence to prove that the captain's raped Ronnie and they should be punished. This is how Danny learned from his mistake.
   Sometimes it takes a small incident when you were a baby, or you learned it from your favorite teacher. In this case though the high school boys learned it after death of friends. Still the lesson is the same even though this is much worse than when you were a kid. It's that you learn from your mistakes. When I was in elementary school I was a peer mediator. I was in fourth grade and was fine mediating the fourth grade and down, fifth grade was the only grade I was afraid of because they were bigger. One day there was a fight and I was supposed to help but I was too afraid and I just watched. After the fight a fifth grader screamed at me for not helping. I felt really bad for not helping and decided to help in all fights. This is how I learned from my mistake. Everyone once learned from their mistakes, what's yours?

 

1 comment:

  1. Really nice post! I really like how you made a connection from the book to your own life. That was like the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete